Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Healing Power of Knitting

I’ve been knitter for years, but felting has slowly taken over to occupy my time. As much as I love felting, I have to admit that knitting is a more soothing and meditative process. I just spent the weekend in the hospital with a sick parent again. Fortunately, it was not too serious, but just required a lot of time. I spent the hours working on an afghan beside my Dad , watching the NCAA tournament, occassionally chatting and napping . Mom was also sick this weekend, but not enough to warrant a hospital visit.

Saturday was spent waiting nearly nine hours in the ER for a hospital room for Dad. A long time in a stressful, sterile environment—Mom was exhausted by the time we got home. But waiting for us at my parent’s foyer was the best gift with perfect timing. An envelope filled with handmade Easter cards (out of purple construction paper) and a hand knit prayer shawl. The fifth grade class at Notre Dame parish, where my family has gone for years, has kind of adopted my parents since they’ve been on the prayer list at church. They write handmade cards and Mom occasionally sends treats to the class and answers their letters. A group of girls in the class are learning how to knit and surprised Mom with a hand knit prayer shawl. The shawl is acrylic and made of garter stitch swatches, complete with dropped stitches and misaligned rows, but is one of the sweetest things I’ve seen. It’s hard to describe how much it lifted all our spirits after such as long day. Even thinking about it now makes me smile.

1 comment:

Emily said...

What a wonderful and uplifting gift. Hope both your mom and dad are feeling better.