Sunday, January 4, 2009

"If it's not your ass, it's your elbow"

The quote is complements of my 83-year-old Aunt Helen. She's one of the funniest people I know and the person I want to be when I grow up.

The quote perfectly sums up the past few days that seem like weeks. Or maybe it's weeks that seem like months. I'm kind of losing track.

A series of parental health problems, doctors visits and an unexpected hospital stay. I've been in the same clothes for the past four days. This morning I ended up borrowing a pair of my mom's underwear (that one is just wrong on so may levels--I shoulda gone commando, but I'm running on scant sleep)

There is nothing easy about facing long term care for a parent. At least I'm from a large family to share the burden/emotion/whatever. Fringe benefit of being Catholic (cue "Every Sperm is Sacred" from Monty Python...)

An unrelated fringe benefit is that I'm getting a helluva lot of knitting done.

No comments: